7.22.2008

Adoptive Families Magazine

Dan and I have been subscribing to Adoptive Families Magazine now for about a year. (In fact, that reminds me that it's time for renewal.) We've found each issue very informative. This past issue had an article, Planning for Parenthood, which I found particularly interesting.
When a woman finds out she is pregnant, she has nine months to read books, prepare physically and emotionally, bond with other mothers and get a nursery ready. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of unknowns and lots of surprises coming for all mothers. However, I often questioned when/if I should start reading books and preparing a nursery? We don't know when we'll become parents - tomorrow or six months or a year from now. But this article put me at ease. For one reason, I know that the emotional tugging and uncertainty I feel must be pretty common among prospective adoptive parents. And another ... it gave some good advice in dealing with these feelings and getting more comfortable with the adoption ahead of us.
If anyone knows anyone else currently going through the adoption process, I would suggest forwarding the article for a quick read and a little reassurance.
-Jodi

No comments: